- Follow or join the Educational Multimedia Design group at Mendeley for a list of books and research papers from conferences like CHI and journals like Instructional Science with insights on Interface Design for Learning.
News & Blogs
- The ELearning Coach - An eLearning Interface Designer's hero, Connie Malamed specializes in both visual design and elearning.
- Hack Education - Audry Waters is an Education writer with a expert and down-to-earth grasp of the trends and issues in educational technology.
- Usable Learning - Author and Instructional Designer Julie Dirksen shares insights on learning design and usability for learning.
- UX for Learning: Design Guidelines for the Learner Experience at UX Matters by Dorian Peters at UX Matters
- Say hello to Learning Interface Design at UX Magazine by Dorian Peters at UX Magazine
- The UX of Learning at A List Apart by Tyler Tate
- UX Magazine is an enjoyable, well designed, quality read on all issues relevant to designers of the User Experience
- UX Matters is a reliable source of insights and trends in user experience.
- Elearn Magazine is a highly accessible publication of the ACM, rich in views on online learning research and practice in higher education and beyond.
- Learning Solutions is a window into eLearning in practice with special focus on industry.
- Interactions Magazine is a top notch fresh and scholarly look at the cutting edge in ideas and innovation in HCI. It is a publication of the ACM and their Special Interest Group SIGCHI.
- TED is fecund with insightful, informative and inspirational talks on most things at the intersection of technology-Entertainment-Design and often where they overlap with education. For example, see David Kelley on Human-centered Design, Salman Kahn on video for Education, or Daphne Koller on MOOCs.
- IxDA - The Interaction Designers Association makes a wide range of talks by experts on UX and Interaction Design available for free.
- iTunes U hosts a number of free lecture series such as the Stanford HCI seminars, and seminars from the School of Visual Art in New York.
Learn by example as well as by expert by taking these excellent and free courses online.
- Stanford HCI course with Scott Klemmer on Coursera is a fabulous course with well-designed lectures and engaging hands-on projects.
- Learning Creative Learning - Get down and dirty among the pioneers of constructionism in this MIT Media lab course for "designers, technologists and educators interested in creative learning".
- Virtual Crash Course in Design Thinking - Created by Stanford's d.school, I did this course with a friend and was astonished to make some deep realizations I never expected.
- The Web Style Guide is a book on the fundamentals of web design. Authors Sarah Horton and Patrick Lynch have generously made a version of the book available for free online.
- Konigi "Tools for ideation" makes a host of wonderful resources available from superb Wireframe stencils to design inspiration.
- Visual Vocabulary by Jessie James Garrett's is a standardized set of shapes and connectors you can use for creating professional design artefacts and deliverables.
- Design Thinking for Educators Toolkit is Stanford's d.school's initiative to apply Design Thinking to Education.
- Mental Notes, created by Stephen Anderson, is a beautiful set of cards, each describing and depicting a basic principle of web-relevant human psychology.
- IDEO Method cards is a 51 card deck of Design Thinking methods and a great way to stimulate and organize ideas in a workshop, in a group, or or on your own. Note: the Design Thinking Bootcamp Bootleg has a lot of this content in a free (if less fun and versatile) format.
- Instructional Design Guru is your cheat sheet, quick look-up app, for all those learning terms that get bandied about with abandon.
|Faux book ipad cases at TwelveSouth.|
I wouldn't claim to have a definitive book list here, but these are at least, a few of the books I have found incredibly useful to my journey towards best practice in Interface Design for Learning...
Education, Multimedia Learning & E-learning design
- Elearning and the Science of Instruction - Ruth C. Clark and Richard E. Mayer
- Multimedia Learning - Richard E. Mayer (see summary post on this blog)
- Learning Theory and Online Technology - Linda Harasim
- Cambridge Handbook of the Learning Sciences
- Cambridge Handbook of Multimedia Learning
- The Design of Everyday Things - Don Norman
- Emotional Design - Don Norman
- Universal Principles of Design - William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler
- Designing for how people learn - Julie Dirksen
- The laws of Simplicity - John Maeda
Visualizations, infographics & other Educational Graphics
- Designing with the Mind in Mind - Jeff Johnson
- The Elements of User Experience - Jesse James Garrett
- Seductive Interaction Design - Stephen P. Anderson
- Designing with Web Standards - Jeffrey Zeldman, with Ethan Marcotte
- Undercover UX Design by Cennydd Bowles and James Box
- A Book Apart - all the brief books put out by these guys are useful.
Focuses: Usability, Information Architecture, Content Strategy etc.